I love Apple products. I work on a MacBook everyday and I’ve had the same iPod for 4 years that’s still going strong. This week, Apple presented its new MacBook as their “greenest” yet. Here are some features:
- Mercury-free LCD display
- Arsenic-free display glass
- Brominated flame retardant-free
- Total greenhouse gas emissions: 460 kg CO2e
- PVC-free internal cables
- Highly recyclable aluminum and glass enclosure
- Meets Energy Star requirements
- Packaging consumes 41% less volume than the previous generation MacBook
- Participates in various product take-back and recycling programs
Then they go and do something like this:
Do you see this?! Apple has sent us a replacement plug, a little larger than a quarter, in a box this large, surrounded by one inch foam. When companies tout how “green” they’re becoming, they need to walk the walk when the grand presentation is over and the cameras aren’t filming.
I guess it’s safe to say that Apple won’t be asking me to test drive any of their products.