UPDATE November 18, 2010: I’m sorry I don’t have a photo to include but I recently tried the Orbit Baby Rain Shield in this review on an UPPAbaby Vista stroller (the seat that reclines) and it had an “adequate fit”.
Just over a year ago, I wrote one of my most visited posts describing my difficult search in finding a PVC-free stroller rain cover. I first learned the hazards of PVC plastic when I read an article about PVC plastic shower curtains. I was concerned about the “off gassing” from the plastic that has shown to be harmful to the nervous system and increases the chance of liver cancer. The only rain cover I could find was made by Orbit Baby.
Orbit Baby has updated their strollers and is calling them the G2 – as in “Next Generation”. The fabric for their strollers uses Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 material, an international certification that sets limits for over 100 harmful chemicals, substances, and emissions in textiles. They have also added to their Infant and Toddler Seat accessory line the Green Edition Foot Muff, which is made of organic cotton/wool that meets car seat flame retardancy safety standards without any harsh chemicals.
The updated strollers have led to a redesigned of the Rain Shield that I originally wrote about. Orbit Baby sent me both their Toddler Seat Rain Shield and Infant Car Seat Rain Shield which I tested again on the many strollers at Babies R Us. Unfortunately, the new Orbit Baby Toddler Rain Shield doesn’t adequately fit on as many strollers as it’s predecessor did due to the redesigned shape of the toddler seat. There are, however, a few that passed the test. Here is a list of strollers that the Toddler Seat Rain Shield will fit on with photos of each:
- Bugaboo Cameleon and Frog
- Quinny Buzz – cover only fits when foot rest is set to shortest position
- Maxi Cosi Forary Stroller – cover only fits when foot rest is set to shortest position
- Maclaren Quest Sport Stroller – needs some homemade “craftiness” to attach to the stroller handles as seen in photos from original post and cover does not reach to foot rest of stroller
- Maclaren Grand Tour LX – doesn’t leave a lot of room in the foot area, though, and doesn’t reach to foot rest
- UPPAbaby Vista Stroller – sorry, no photo
The updated design of the Orbit Infant Car Seat Rain Shield fit well on all the car seats at Babies R Us. They were the:
- Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat, 32, and 35
- Baby Trend Gabriella Infant Car Seat
- Evenflo Serenade Infant Car Seat
- Combi Shuttle 33 Infant Car Seat
- Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat
- Primo Viaggio Gala Infant Car Seat
- Maxi Cosi Mico Infant Car Seat
You can continue to purchase both the Toddler Seat Rain Shield and the Infant Car Seat Rain Shield online through Orbit Baby and now wherever Orbit Baby Strollers are sold.
Both the Orbit Baby Toddler Rain Shield and the Infant Car Seat Rain Shield were given to me for testing by Orbit Baby. I am not an employee of Orbit Baby.